Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Unfinished Play: Untitled Work

INT. BOXING ARENA-NIGHT/EARLY MORNING 4AM

(Boxing arena is cold and damp, low lighting hard to see faces, two boxers fighting in the ring. There is a large crowd of men gathered to bet on the match.)

BOBBY (THE IRON FIST)

(Tall, about six foot, speaks with a thick British accent. He is wearing a blazer, nice pants and a clearly seen gun in hand.)

Piece of shit! What is this? (Pointing the gun at the man on the ground)

MARKIE (THE FOX)

(About 5’ 8” speaks in a quiet voice with a British accent, wearing a dress shirt halfway unbuttoned. You can see a concealed gun holder. His pants are ripped and he is a mess.)

Bobby I told you I didn’t do it!

BOBBY

I don’t care what you say, the package didn’t

make it to the buyer. You were the to bring

it to him. What the hell happened?

MARKIE

Look, I was on my way, you know on foot when out of

nowhere this shit head jumps me! And before I knew

it, the package was long gone.

BOBBY

You couldn’t fight him off! You weakling! (Cocks the gun)

MARKIE

I tried I really did, don’t shoot! Don’t!

MAN 1

Copper! Everyone clear out!

BOBBY

Damn you lucky! (Helping Markie up, and putting the gun away)

Let’s get out of here!

MARKIE

One thing, (pausing) why did you shot?

BOBBY

Shit I can’t kill you! But I swear one of these days

I’m going to fuck you up.

MARKIE

You really had me thinking that you where going

to do it this time. (Wiping the sweat of his face)

BOBBY

How the hell could I kill my partner? (He yells over

The fleeing crowd) Besides I still need you around.

MAN1

Everyone get! The Copper is coming down and he

look’s like he might be looking for one of you. So

everyone get the fuck outta here!

UPSTAIRS IN THE BAR

(Bartender trying to keep the angry Detective Willoughby Casey from going down stairs as long as possible)

CULVERTON

(Mid 50’s has been running the underground boxing for the last ten years. He is short and full of piss and vinegar. Speaks with a heavy Irish accent.)

Really, sir I think you need a drink!

DETECTIVE WILLOUGHBY CAESY

(Early 30’s and has been working to shut down underground boxing in London. Light British accent. Wears well cut clothes and seems to have all the gadgets that any man could want.)

Look you Berk! I don’t want no bloody drink, now you

tell me what your hiding or I will blow you bollocks off!

(Pointing a gun at the man.)

CULVERTON

That’s a daft idea.

DETECTIVE WILLOUGHBY CASEY

I don’t think that’s such a daft idea you Sod!

CULVERTON

All right Detective, you can go down.

DETECTIVE WILLOUGHBY CASEY

Thanks you bloody idiot! (Opens the door to stairs. When Bobby

and Markie come flying up the stair, they run in to each other.)

Watch where you’re going!

BOBBY

Back off! I was just opening the door and you

came running on in!

MARKIE

Yeah that’s right! You get out of the way!

CASEY

I’ll get out off your ways if you tell me what

was going on down stairs!

BOBBY

Can’t a man keep to himself?

CASEY

Yes he can, (Pulling out his badge) but not if he

runs into someone with one off these.

BOBBY

Well then if you have to be asking.

CASEY

Yes I do have some questions for you.

BOBBY

Well if you do then when do you plan

on asking them?

CASEY

I don’t want any lip either!

MARKIE

He wasn’t given any lip.

BOBBY

Not now Markie.

CASEY

Now, will you kindly tell me, what was

going on down there?

MARKIE

Well we where down watching (Bobby hits him)

BOBBY

Well what he was saying is that we where watching

a football match that’s all.

CASEY

I didn’t think anyone was playing today.

BOBBY

No your wrong Man. Utd. And Arsenal

CASEY

Really?

MARKIE

(Not able to contain himself) Yeah if you turn the set

on you can catch the end of the game!

CASEY

OK I will then.

BOBBY

Shit!

CASEY

What’s wrong? Is the match not really on?

BOBBY

No I just hope that Manchester Utd. wins I

was betting on them, that’s all.

CULVERTON

Here I’ll turn the set on and you can see for yourself

Casey that these men are not lying to you.

CASEY

Shut up I know how to us a set! Give me that remote!

CULVERTON

Ok, Ok here you go now just clam down.

BOBBY

(Closing his eyes thinking about away out of this)

CASEY

(turns the set on) What channel is the match on?

BOBBY

It’s on 19.

CASEY

Thanks (changing the channel)

COMMENTATOR

(On the TV the commentator yells) GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In

the last seconds of the match a goal for Manchester! This

sets the score at 3-2 and ends the match. Arsenal will

be going home with the head between their legs.

CASEY

Damn!

BOBBY

(With joy and a little relief) I won! I can’t believe I won!

What a close match wasn’t Markie!

MARKIE

Yeah it was! Damn you’re a lucky!

BOBBY

(Playing alone) Yeah I wonder who will win the

cup now?

CASEY

I see well I guess you gents are right.

BOBBY

Now was this really worth the hassle?

CASEY

Well sorry for the trouble, I’ll be on my way.

MARKIE

(Getting the door for Casey) Have a nice one.

CULVERTON

(Sitting on the bar smiling at Bobby.)

BOBBY

What did you do?

CULVERTON

I have a tape of the match from last Friday.

BOBBY

Great. When he finds out that is was a tape

we’re fucked!

MARKIE

What are we going to do?

BOBBY

We will have to lay low for a while.

CULVERTON

I got a room up stairs if you need a place to hide out?

MARKIE

That sounds good!

BOBBY

No, that won’t do! We need to rent some flat in town!

MARKIE

That cost money and we don’t have any money.

CULVERTON

Here, (Handing them a large amount of money.) take this.

BOBBY

Where did you get all of this?

CULVERTON

Doesn’t matter do it? Look, take this and your

winning downstairs.

BOBBY

What about you what will you do?

MARKIE

Are you kidding, he would kill anyone who gets

in his way!

BOBBY

Good point, he tough!

CULVERTON

Like I said don’t worry about me if something comes up I will

let you know right away!

BOBBY

Right. Markie lets get before Casey gets back.

CULVERTON

Good luck. (pausing) What about the boxing match this Friday?

BOBBY

Shit, I forgot about that. Plus we have a big deal going

down as well.

MARKIE

Could we us someone to stand in or something?

BOBBY

Not a good idea, I said I would be there.

CULVERTON

I know some guys that might be able to help you.


BOBBY

What do you mean you know some guys?

MARKIE

I think that…(Bobby interrupts him)

BOBBY

Markie you’re not calling the shots on this one!

CULVERTON

Gentlemen!

BOBBY

Culverton, tell me what you’re talking about. What men?

CULVERTON

These are just the right guys for you!

BOBBY

What makes them so great?

CULVERTON

One of them can’t be killed! He has taken 7 bullets and didn’t die and

killed the man shooting at him!

BOBBY

What you have to be kidding! 7 bullets and he killed the man!

MARKIE

(Standing there ah stricken)

CULVERTON

I know you want him working for you. He could stop anything

from going on with fight on Friday.

BOBBY

But how do you know he would be will to work for me?

CULVERTON

I don’t. I am sure with the right reasons you

could get him to though. (Hands Bobby a piece of paper)

there now you can find him.

BOBBY

373 Lonsdale Road, Barnes, London, SW13 9PY

(saying the address to himself) wait its that the Bull’s Head?

CULVERTON

Yeah that’s it, why?

BOBBY

I don’t know I just don’t like the sound of it. (Bobby goes

to the door signals to Markie to follow him. After Markie is

outside Bobby turns to Culverton and speaks) Don’t let

anyone know who I am or it will be your head.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE PUB

(Sun is just coming up over the cityscape, Bobby is outside wait for Markie to bring the car around. Sees a police car coming down the street and becomes impatient.)

BOBBY

(Speaking to himself) where is that Bugger of a Berk when I need him!

(The police car begins to slow down and come to a stop in front of Bobby. Bobby stands there Ridgley, waiting for something to happen.)

OFFICER

(Speaking in a heavy Scottish accent) Top of the mornin’ to ye.

BOBBY

Top of the mornin’.

OFFICER

What are you doing out at this hour?

BOBBY

(Thinking quickly) I was drink for the whole night,

my lassie ditched me for another man.

OFFICER

I see, do you need a ride back to your flat?

BOBBY

No my mates coming and giving me a lift home.

OFFICER

I see (begins to role up his window.)

(Markie comes around the corner in the car. The officer is pulling away and then stops after seeing the car. (The car is an Aston Martin.) Bobby run to the car and gets in. The officer looks back and Bobby is in the car and they are speeding off)

INT. IN THE CAR

BOBBY

Where the bugger where you!!!

MARKIE

I got lost (focusing on his driving)

BOBBY

How can you get lost!

MARKIE

I don’t know I just did.

BOBBY

Where did you go then if you got lost?

MARKIE

I took a wrong turn on 5th and then I got stuck

Behind a truck

BOBBY

That’s still no reason!

MARKIE

Like I said I’m sorry!

INT. MARKIE’S FLAT

(Very cluttered and messy. Books and magazines are everywhere. His bed (futon) is in the living room and the whole place is torn up. Bobby looking around picks up a magazine and then a knock at the door.)

CASEY

Anyone home in there?

BOBBY

(Looking at Markie) What is this!

MARKIE

Fuck if I know! How did he find my place?

BOBBY

Do you have your wallet?

MARKIE

(Checking his pocket) SHIT!

BOBBY

You lost it didn’t you?

MARKIE

No, when we where talking to him I put my wallet

on the table, he must have taken it!

BOBBY

No time for us to really think now is there?

Do you have a escape way?

MARKIE

Yeah right here why?

BOBBY

Cause that’s our way out!

MARKIE

I see. What about Casey?

CASEY

I know you’re in there! I’m coming through

this door if you don’t open it!

BOBBY

(Looking out the window at the fire escape) Markie if

we’re going to get out of here we need to now!

MARKIE

But what about my place? What’s he going to do

to it? Come on let me grab some stuff!

BOBBY

NO! Come on we don’t have time for this!

MARKIE

But Bobby!

BOBBY

NO! We leave now!

MARKIE

But…(pausing)

BOBBY

Markie we’re leaving here now! No if ands or

buts about it!

CASEY

Last chance!

MARKIE

Shit I hate this!

BOBBY

(Opening the window, and stepping outside onto the fire escape)

Markie forget about all of this and lets get out of here!

CASEY

(Cocks his gun and shots the lock out. And steps into the room)

Damn! No one home!

(Casey moves around the room throwing things around. Moving toward the back of the flat he see the open window. Sticks his head out and looks around for the two men. But they are now where to be seen.)

EXT. IN THE ALLY BEHIND MARKIES FLAT

(Dirty, tipped over trashcans and a cat here and there. Not the best place to be. Bobby and Markie are seen pulling themselves out of a dumpster that they jumped into.)

BOBBY

(Pulling a banana peel off his coat and dusting off) Well that

wasn’t too bad. I just hope that he doesn’t connect us with

the boxing to night.

MARKIE

(Trying to heave himself out of the trash bin.) Yeah sure. You

really think that he’s not going to think this all out?

BOBBY

Well what do you want me to do just invite to the match?

MARKIE

That’s not such a bad idea!

BOBBY

What? What do you mean not such a bad idea??

MARKIE

(Finally getting out of the trash bin) Come on look you set the

rules and then you can just get rid of him!

BOBBY

Markie for once I think you just had a good idea!

MARKIE

Really?

BOBBY

Yeah, we can go ahead and let him know that there

is going to be a fight tonight. Set down some

guidelines and set him up.

MARKIE

What about the guy that Culverton told you about?

BOBBY

Right (Pulling out the address and taking a look at it)

we can make it there by car in half an hour.

MARKIE

I wonder if Casey knows what car we’re driving?

BOBBY

Shit!

MARKIE

I left the car around front, lets go have a

look and see if he tagged it.

BOBBY

Lets go then, we don’t have much time till he

could be downstairs again.

(Running around the corner, the men see the car nothing seems wrong with it but they move closer to check it out.)

BOBBY

Looks clear to me. Did you look under the car?

MARKIE

Yeah, nothing there, let get out of here!

BOBBY

Look!

CASEY

You two, stop right there!

BOBBY

Markie, get in the car and let’s get!

CASEY

(Pulling out his gun) I said don’t move!

MARKIE

Bobby what should I do?

BOBBY

Get in the car now! (Cocking his gun in his coat.)

CASEY

I said don’t move! What do you not

understand about don’t move!!!!

BOBBY

Move it!

CASEY

Son of a bitch! (Aiming his gun at the car

and cocking his gun)

MARKIE

Shit! Don’t do that!

BOBBY

(Aiming the gun at Markie) I said drive!

So god damn it drive!!!

MARKIE

Ok!

CASEY

Son of a bitch! I want those to dead! (speaking to dispatch

of his cell phone) I need all the side streets covered.

(phasing for a response) Yeah that’s right a black Aston

Martin (phasing)What a different officer already

called it in?

BOBBY

(Putting the gun under the seat) I would never

shoot you. You know that, right?

MARKIE

I know its just when you get that close it

always scares me. (Turning back to his

driving)

BOBBY

There’s Central so now we just need to keep going

until we hit the intersection of Lonsdale and

Central. Then you’re going to take a right ok?

MARKIE

Yeah got it.

(An uneasy silence comes over the car and Bobby begins to fidget in his seat and begins to get nervous and then speaks abruptly)

BOBBY

How’s your mum?

MARKIE

Fine why?

BOBBY

Don’t know I just was wondering.

MARKIE

You ok? (Looking over at Bobby) why

are you so jumpy?

BOBBY

Really it’s just nothing.

MARKIE

Ok.

(Again silence falls over the two men, Bobby again starts to get fidgety but this time he takes out his cell phone and begins to look at photos from the fight last night, he zooms in on one of the photos and is shocked)

BOBBY

Markie look at this! (Showing him the picture)

MARKIE

That can’t be!

BOBBY

But it is! (Pointing at a person in the picture)

MARKIE

That’s Casey!

BOBBY

No shit it Casey!

MARKIE

I guess that we wont have to be inviting him to

the fight tonight.

BOBBY

No your right and this might play into our

advantage in the long run you know?

MARKIE

What do you mean?

BOBBY

He will already be there making it thousands of

times easier for us to give him the slip.

MARKIE

I see.

BOBBY

Pay attention to your driving! You almost

missed your turn!

MARKIE

Sorry. But how are we going to give him the slip?

BOBBY

Simple we’ll have our man knock him out while he’s

watching the boxing match and then we’ll put him up

against the Iron Fist.

MARKIE

The Iron Fist! Just looking at him scares me half to death!

Bobby, Casey doesn’t stand a chance!

BOBBY

I know that’s the point!

EXT OUTSIDE THE BULLS HEAD PUB

(It is about 1:00 in the afternoon when Bobby and Markie pull in back of the Bulls Head, there are only a few cars out around back. The smell of fresh brewed beer can clearly be smelled by the two men.)

BOBBY

You smell that?

MARKIE

Yeah, I love that smell.

BOBBY

So how do you think we will be able to tell who this

guy is?

MARKIE

We could always count the bullet holes.

Seven, right?

BOBBY

Yeah that sounds about right.

INT. THE BULLS HEAD